The latest news from academia, regulators
research labs and other things of interest
Posted: May 5, 2009
Dozens of new clean tech and nanotechnology products unveiled at TechConnect World Expo in Houston
(Nanowerk News) TechConnect World, in association with the Nano Science and Technology Institute (NSTI), and the Clean Technology and Sustainable Industries Organization (CTSI), announced that the TechConnect World Expo will officially open today at 10:00 AM, at the George R. Brown Convention Center.
Hundreds of exhibitors and thousands of expo attendees are set to make TechConnect World the largest Clean, Bio and Nanotech event in the nation. Dozens of new products and technologies are expected to be unveiled on the show floor Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. A sampling of these announcements includes:
Clean Technology '09 News Announcements
1. Enhanced Biofuels (booth 1018): is announcing and showcasing a novel, breakthrough Biodiesel conversion technology called the HS Reactor System(TM)
2. Houston Electric Cars (booth 930): the makers of the Zenn, the Zap, the Sky, and the Benjy Neighborhood Electric Vehicles is displaying several of its latest models. Each vehicle can save 8 to 12 tons of carbon gas per year from being released into the atmosphere.
3. Meridian Solar (booth 1014): is showcasing the latest solar electric designs for residential and commercial installations
4. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) (booth 1314): is the US Department of Energy's premier laboratory for energy efficiency and renewable energy. NREL is discussing several initiatives in solar, wind, biomass and geothermal energy.
5. Natural State Research Inc. (booth 1215): are presenting its recently announced formula and process for taking waste plastic and converting it into liquid fuel.
6. SmartCool Systems (booth 915): is showcasing new technology that makes refrigeration and air conditioning systems more efficient.
7. And Continental Airlines' Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner will discussing Continental's use of sustainable bio-fuel to power commercial aircraft, in his Tuesday morning keynote address at 9:00 AM
Nanotech '09 News Announcements
1. Angstron Materials (booth 1506): is announcing the development of new nano graphene platelets (NGPs), which are cost effective, high performance alternatives to carbon nanotubes (CNTs). Angstron is the first company to isolate single-layer and multi-layer graphene structures and produce nano graphene sheets in large quantities.
2. Brookhaven Instruments Corporation (BIC) (booth 713): is showcasing its new Automatic Continuous Online Sizing (ACOS) system for online particle sizing using Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS).
3. Nanobiomatters (booth 610): is demonstrating newly developed additives that are based on nanotechnology, which make plastics and bio-plastics "greener" and more cost effective.
4. NanoScape AG (booth 345): is showcasing recently developed adsorbers for dehumidification systems & heat pumps; new additives for water purification membranes and selective air filters; and coatings for gas separation membranes.
5. NanoTox (booth 908): is discussing recent policies, and impending regulations surrounding nanotech product safety.
6. Parabon Computation & NanoLabs (booth 1408): is showcasing recently developed nano-scale sensors for therapeutics, diagnostics and other molecular detection systems
7. Russian Corporation of Nanotechnologies RUSNANO (booth 300): CEO Anatoly Chubais will discuss a number of nanotechnology projects that RUSNANO is currently working on during a press conference at 10:30 AM on Tuesday, May 5th.
8. Spectrum Labs (booth 331): is announcing an expansion of its Tangential Flow Filtration Systems, which are predominantly used for developing and manufacturing biomedical products.
9. Swissnanotech (booth 311): organizers of the Swiss Pavilion, which features a dozen Swiss Nanotech companies, is hosting a reception on Tuesday May 5, at 5:00pm, (in Booth 311), to discuss how IBM and ETH Zurich have created a $90M program for joint research and a new nanotech lab.
10. Vorbeck Materials (booth 1413): is showcasing its newest Vor-ink line of conductive inks for printed electronic applications. With sinter-free processing, Vor-ink displays exceptional conductivity and flexibility on a variety of substrates.
Almost 100 journalists are attending and covering the news at TechConnect World, Clean Technology '09 and Nanotech '09 events. Additional members of the press interested in attending the event should contact Todd Keefe at email@example.com.
Clean Technology '09 assembles the entire clean technology ecosystem - including industry, academia and government - to examine the policy issues and future measures needed to promote sustainability and accelerate the flow of energy, water and environmental technologies.
Nanotech '09, now in its 12th year, is the largest and most prominent nanotechnology event in the world, attracting thousands of nano, micro and bio technology executives, to bring nanotechnology from the laboratory to the marketplace.
The TechConnect Summit ties these events together, through presentations and networking opportunities designed to connect Fortune 500 companies with the academic and research communities. For more information on these three events, please visit: www.techconnectworld.com.