The latest news from academia, regulators
research labs and other things of interest
Posted: July 11, 2007
EPA announces Pollution Prevention through Nanotechnology conference
(Nanowerk News) EPA, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, invites you to exchange ideas and information on using nanotechnology to develop new ways to prevent pollution at their conference "Pollution Prevention through Nanotechnology" on September 25-26, 2007 in Arlington, Virginia. Representatives from industry, academia, non-governmental organizations, and government are invited to focus on current practices and potential research areas in nanotechnology that incorporate the concept of pollution prevention in three major areas:
• Products: Less toxic, less polluting, and wear-resistant.
• Processes: More efficient and waste-reducing.
• Energy and Resource Efficiency: Processes and products that use less energy and fewer raw materials.
Questions that will be addressed by conference participants include:
1. Which nanotechnologies show the greatest promise for preventing pollution?
2. What are the most promising areas of research on pollution prevention applications of nanotechnologies?
3. What recommendations do conference participants have for promoting and encouraging pollution prevention in the development and application of nanotechnology?
The conference will also feature discussions of nanotechnology life-cycle considerations and the responsible development of nanotechnology.
The conference will begin on Tuesday with individual presentations on current and anticipated nanotechnologies with potential pollution prevention applications. Panel discussions on selected case studies will be held on Wednesday. Posters will be on display throughout the conference, and will be featured during a Tuesday evening reception and poster session.
Meeting Site and Hotel Accommodation
The conference will be held at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn, located one block west of the Rosslyn Metro stop. A
conference rate of $192/single, plus 10.25 percent tax, will be available.
Please call (703) 807-2000 or toll free (800) 423-0908 for in-house reservations. Reference the “EPA P2 Nanotechnology Conference” to receive the group rate. Reservations should be made by September 3rd. After this date, reservations are subject to space and rate availability.
Call for Posters
EPA encourages you to submit an entry for the poster session in the area of nanotechnology products, processes, or energy and resource efficiency. Posters with a focus on safer chemistries through use of nanotechnology are especially encouraged. Poster applications are due July 31st.