Open menu

Nanotechnology General News

The latest news from academia, regulators
research labs and other things of interest

Posted: November 22, 2007

European nanoelectronics platform opts for new medical applications focus

(Nanowerk News) ENIAC, the European Technology Platform on nanoelectronics, has decided to make the development of medical applications one of its main objectives.
ENIAC brings together Europe's leading universities and businesses in the field of semi-conductors and nanoelectronics. Through ENIAC's Strategic Research Programme, they will work together to develop medical applications drawing on the very latest in new materials and semi-conductor technologies for personalised medical devices. The areas already targeted for research include sensors, micro-devices for administering medicines and personal diagnostic systems.
"The health sector is on the cusp of a deep change and will benefit from the nanotechnologies by exploiting the traditional strengths of the semi-conductor industry: miniaturisation, integration, high quality and reliability. European companies are well placed to play a key role in this revolution," said Alain Dutheil, vice president of the ENIAC board of directors.
"The ENIAC work group will pool its joint research tasks to develop new technologies. The objective is to obtain minimally-invasive systems to preserve a high quality of life, more automated to ensure a greater ease of use and to limit human errors. While contributing to reducing general public expenditure, these systems should be of great quality and reliability. In addition, these new medical applications will not only improve the quality of life of the individual, but will also open a vast market for the European industry of semiconductors, as well as opening new prospects for highly qualified employment for the younger generations," he added.
In June, the European Commission proposed that ENIAC be turned into a Joint Technology Initiative (JTI), giving it a legal basis and structure that will last for at least 10 years.
It is hoped that Europe's research ministers will grant their final approval to the new JTI during the Competitiveness Council on November 22-23. ENIAC should then enjoy a budget of €3 million (about $4.35 billion), 60% of which will come from industry, with the remaining 40% coming from the European Commission and the countries involved in the project.
For more information, please visit: http://www.eniac.eu
Source: Cordis