You will architect software-hardware codesign innovations for next-gen artificial intelligence high performance computing systems.
The Compute System Architecture Unit (CSA) at imec is researching next-generation large-scale heterogeneous computer architectures for next-generation Artificial Intelligence (AI). The team is responsible for algorithm research, runtime management innovations, performance modeling, architecture simulation and prototyping for these future applications and the future systems to execute them, to reach multiple orders of magnitude better performance, energy-efficiency, and total-cost-of-ownership.
We are looking for a Principal AI High Performance Computing Architect to technically drive innovation across layers of the computing stack, all the way from application to semiconductor technology innovation and everything in between. You work closely with experts from different fields to identify codesign solutions and to build the infrastructure required to evaluate impact. As a part of the leadership team, you will drive SoC modeling, performance analysis, projections, and strategic innovations against critical product life cycle milestones and program deliverables. This position plays a key role in our ambition to shape the future of supercomputer architecture.
- Research various solutions to enable the next large-scale-high-performance computing clusters. The role spans over various layers from algorithms, resource management, firmware, system architecture, and microarchitecture.
- Develop software/hardware performance models at various levels of detail, identify performance bottlenecks, analyze results and develop optimization algorithms.
- Work with multiple teams to identify a prioritized list of AI HPC applications and capture the relevant characteristics to explore the design space.
- Collaborate across the company to guide the direction of HPC HW/SW codesign based on the top HW issues and SW performance limiters generated from the models and characteristics.
- Identify key usage models and performance indicators at the system level.
- Define and scope SoC requirements.
- Model features and configurations that improve power and performance.
- Support design and validation efforts throughout entire product life cycle.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related relevant STEM degree.
- Good understanding of datacenter benchmarks and workloads.
- Experience with machine learning training of large models or HPC application development.
- Experience in performance analysis of large-scale systems.
- Experience with distributed programming models, computing algorithms and runtime resource management.
- Experience in performance modeling or simulation.
- Strong programming ability in different languages.
- You are well organized and display strong task prioritization skills in your work.
- Your communication and interpersonal skills enable you to work in a dynamic, distributed team. You actively share experiences and knowledge with colleagues. A history of mentoring more junior engineers and interns is a huge plus.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence, and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.