The latest news from academia, regulators
research labs and other things of interest
Posted: September 5, 2007
Inaugural Conference in June 2007 Provides Up to the Minute Data on the Rapid Growth of Nanopolymers
(Nanowerk News) Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/c67425) has announced the addition of Nanopolymers 2007: Berlin, Germany, 12-13 June 2007 - Conference Proceedings to their offering.
The use of nanopolymer compounds in commercial applications is gaining momentum. In fact global demand for nanomaterials is predicted to reach US$3.7 billion by 2008.
Behind much of the hype surrounding nanopolymers is a real opportunity for companies to produce superior, sustainable materials faster, cheaper and more efficiently. With this in mind we held our first international Nanopolymers Conference in Berlin on 12-13 June 2007. This inaugural conference provided up to the minute data on the rapid growth of nanopolymers and demonstrated, via a range of case studies, their use in different industry sectors.
Delegates who attended this conference heard new approaches in the synthesis, characterisation and commercial application of nanopolymers. They also discovered how:
- Pirelli Tyres is developing rubber-clay nanocomposites to improve the mechanical properties of polymer matrices
- Degussa GmbH is using robust scale up and scale down methodologies in the production of polymeric nanocomposites based on polyamides
- BASF is developing nanocomposites and nanocellular structures
- High performance gas sensors have been developed using singlewalled carbon nanotubes, polymers and composite materials
- Arkema has used various synthesis routes to bring about the good dispersion and efficient utilisation of carbon nanotubes
- Nanoparticles have been exploited for hydrophobic and self cleaning coatings
The cost benefits of incorporating nano-scale ingredients into polymer-based products was featured, along with examples of how to disperse the nano-ingredients to maximise the properties required.