The latest news from academia, regulators
research labs and other things of interest
Posted: March 9, 2009
Bruker Launches Numerous New Scientific and Analytical Products and Solutions
(Nanowerk News) At Pittcon 2009, Bruker Corporation launches numerous new scientific and analytical products and solutions. The new systems and solutions introduced today are focused on bringing more productivity and specificity to confident routine analysis, and on opening new horizons for advanced research applications.
Bruker is announcing several new solutions-oriented, turn-key, push-button analyzers based on X-ray analysis, on infrared and NMR molecular spectroscopy, and on mass spectrometry. Bruker is leveraging its high-performance technologies into new, more compact, easier to use, faster, more sensitive and more specific analytical solutions that address large pharma/biotech, applied and industrial markets.
Applications range from biologics quality control (QC), to on-line pharma process analytical technologies (PAT) tablet characterization, to food and feed analysis, to elemental analysis in forensics, precious metals and cement, to positive materials identification (PMI) in the power and aerospace industries.
At the same time, Bruker is introducing cutting-edge, truly innovative and completely unique new research capabilities that will enable scientists to open up new scientific frontiers in membrane protein research and in applied proteomics.
The new products and solutions launched by Bruker at Pittcon 2009 include:
X-Ray Materials Research and Elemental Analysis
- D2 PHASER: Bruker enters the benchtop X-ray diffraction (XRD) market with a compact, high-performance XRD spectrometer for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of crystalline phases.
- S8 LION: Bruker enters the simultaneous wavelength dispersive X-ray Fluorescence (WDXRF) market with a high-end, next-generation spectrometer for process and quality control in cement, minerals and mining.
- M1 ORA and M4 TORNADO: Bruker extends its product portfolio for the micro X-Ray Fluorescence (µ-XRF) market with a convenient, small precious metals and jewelry analyzer, as well as a high-end, automated, vacuum micro-XRF spectrometer for non-destructive, elemental microanalysis on solid or liquid samples, particles, inclusions and coatings with unprecedented speed and accuracy for a wide range of applications, including microelectronics, RoHS, forensics and geology.
- S1 SORTER & S1 TURBOSD: Bruker broadens its handheld XRF product line with a fast, affordable alloy sorter, and a next-generation SDD-based high-performance handheld XRF for the most demanding applications and light-element analysis.
- Q8 MAGELLAN: This new version of Bruker's successful, high-end Q8 spark-OES series provides even better performance, long-term stability, convenience and ease-of-use for the most demanding metallurgical applications.
- 263 GHz Avance Solid-State DNP-NMR spectrometer: Bruker pioneers the world's first commercially available solid-state DNP-NMR system that opens up new possibilities for scientific research in the fields of biological solids and nano-materials, particularly in membrane proteins. DNP-NMR can provide signal enhancement factors of 50x or higher.
- TANDEM and LANCIR: Bruker expands its market leadership in pharmaceutical Process Analytical Technology (PAT) with next-generation near infrared (NIR) on-line PAT analyzers for blend uniformity and tablet characterization.
Life-Science Mass Spectrometry
- Edmass™ Micro: Bruker leverages its leadership in research proteomics into the new field of "applied proteomics' with the introduction of its revolutionary, top-down Edmass protein sequencing solution for all molecular biologists without mass spectrometry expertise, as well as for biologics QC in pharma, biotech and CRO companies. The Edmass Micro Solution is based on convenient bench-top MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry that fragments intact proteins across a wide mass range and calls amino acid sequences of up to 80 residues, all without prior protein digestion. Sequence confirmation of purified or recombinant proteins takes just a few minutes and requires essentially no consumables.
- Edmass Ultra: This high-end Edmass solution is based on high-performance MALDI-TOF/TOF technology and in addition delivers and applies Bruker's unique T3-Sequencing" technology to provide protein N- and C-terminal sequence information, even on N-term modified (blocked) proteins, thereby overcoming many of the previous limitations of now discontinued Edman sequencing technology.
Frank Laukien, Ph.D., Bruker's President and CEO, commented: "We are very pleased to unveil so many innovative systems and solutions at Pittcon this year, and believe that our new products will further enhance our position in the market, offering exceptionally powerful and convenient capabilities to our customers. Particularly, our Bruker AXS Materials Research and Elemental Analysis businesses have introduced numerous new products that had been under development in some cases for several years, and which now leverage our industry-leading technology portfolio across a much broader range of applications than ever before. With our new product launches today, Bruker AXS has entered new market segments in simultaneous WDXRF and micro-XRF, significantly increasing our addressable markets.
Today, the Bruker BioSpin group is opening up a new page on solid-state NMR. The dramatic signal enhancement factors that can be achieved with our new and unique DNP-NMR system, enable researchers to study important membrane proteins or dilute samples that had previously been inaccessible to NMR. Bruker BioSpin today also announces its acquisition of PERCH Solutions Ltd., a Spectral Prediction and Molecular Modeling Software company whose products Bruker has integrated for small molecule structure verification and elucidation by NMR."
Dr. Laukien continued: "The introduction of a faster, more powerful and much more convenient next-generation protein sequencing technology, makes our new Edmass solution an excellent example of the progress made in proteomics research to where today we really are at the dawn of a new "applied proteomics' age with convenient, new proteomics-derived products for all biologists, clinical researchers, and in the future also for proteomics-based clinical routine applications and IVD."
Bruker's complete new product listing and detailed press releases are now available at www.bruker.com/pittcon2009 .